To build a diverse team reflective of California’s 45th Congressional District, our office strives to make the hiring process inclusive, accessible, and transparent. One policy implemented by the office to help achieve this is requiring all open job and internship positions to posted publicly. For information about internships, visit this page.
We are currently hiring for the below positions. To apply for an open position, please email ResumesCA45@mail.house.gov with the title of position as the email subject line. If there are no openings, please check back later, as this page is updated on a regular basis.
Congresswoman Katie Porter (CA-45)
seeks a creative and hard-working Legislative Director to coordinate and oversee the office’s legislative agenda, advise the Member on legislative activities and lead our legislative team. Qualified candidates must have a demonstrated ability to manage and mentor staff, think strategically, work collaboratively, and have experience in formulating strategic plans for advancing legislation. Extensive knowledge of House legislative processes and procedures, excellent organization and communication skills, and the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines is required. This position is based in Washington, DC with occasional required travel to the district and reports to the Chief of Staff. This is not an entry-level position, JD preferred.
Interested parties should email a resume, cover letter, and references to ResumesCA45@mail.house.gov
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and support legislative team
- Monitor House floor and Committee activity, including overseeing committee questioning
- Serve as primary legislative liaison to House Leadership offices and CPC
- Manage legislative portfolio for the Congresswoman that includes campaign finance, financial services, housing, consumer protection, antitrust, privacy, technology, small business, and taxes
- Provide the Congresswoman with vote recommendations and manage all voting decisions and voting processes
- Identify and pursue legislative opportunities for the Congresswoman, including sponsoring or co-sponsoring bills and drafting and co-signing letters
- Draft constituent correspondence, oversight letters, op-eds, talking points, legislation, and other written material related to issue area portfolio
- Communicate with the district staff to help them amplify legislative work locally
- Support the District Office in writing speeches and memos for in-district events
- Review and approve legislative correspondence written by the Legislative Correspondent and Staff Assistant
- Project manage projects and events, including in district and in issue portfolio
- Ability to work irregular hours and weekends, as needed, to accommodate the legislative calendar
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Staff
The office is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, disability, military status, age, marital status, or parental status. Women, veterans, people of color, and LGBTQAI+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.